Background and preparing for this trip

In the past we were going to Spain every summer since I was a teenager and spent a few weeks there in Vilanova i la Geltru close to Barcelona. It is a typical living town not touristy with awesome beaches and family atmosphere. To me it was the best place on earth although, being in the new part of it made it quite a walk to the downtown, to the market or a supermarket. So, not very practical in my mind. I now compare it to our beloved Bandol in France which is much smaller but a better organized for food shopping with food markets and even several small and big supermarkets. But in Spain, I am yet to find such gem. Vilanova is certainly one of such being Spanish and Catalan people for their weekends and vacations. I studied Spanish at school for several years and was speaking ok to good.

I was to Spain as part of language immersion and stayed in a Spanish family in Alicante with a group of college students and other Spain lovers from Canada. We had a few tours and excursions then as well.

With my husband, we visited Mallorca actually by ferry from Vilanova. We also went on a tour of Spain. Our last time was in 2001 in September, yes, we were in Spain on September 11 and around. At that time we stayed in Fuengirola after our tour. It has a good beach, but little of real Spain, filled with Irish and English pubs, banging until 6AM, subpar restaurants. It had a great transportation system and we visited a few places from there.

We visited Italy. After this we found Spain to be sold mostly to mass tourism especially the places on the coasts many of which had become soulless. My parents retired in Spain since, but we never came back since.

Our son is now learning Spanish and I was surprised he asked to visit Spain. Maybe it was time to return. He is now a teen and we spent our vacations in Italy, Grece and France all of which we enjoyed a lot. For small kids any country or city can be good. He loved Paris and after his first time there always asked to return. Then we found France the best destination with kids because each place you visit and each museum cares a lot about them, being free, and having an interesting approach and tons of activities, so he could remember a lot of history, and visited places. Surprisingly he even remembered favorite restaurants and villages. Each site or even highway stops have playgrounds and picnic tables. Traveling with more luggage with a younger kid, we just rented a car. Being French speaking also helped to understand all and have very special exchanges with the local population.

Spain, Italy and Greece, are very interesting to visit with a lot of sights, however, there is nothing special for kids. My mother recommended audio guides, but this can be a lot for an adult, let alone a kid. At the Alhambra I was sitting on a bench with a woman who was running the audio guide on the mike. Oh boy, no wonder she was overwhelmed and exhausted at all information provided.
I usually print and bring with me self guided walking tours and I read to my son who sometimes asks for it. I had also guided my husband in the past as I had been on the tours and had enough information for him. I like reading before and after a trip, so I remember many things.

Since our son started learning Spanish, we went to Cuba a couple of times. I am happy however he expressed an interest to visit another country. His exams finishing just literally one day after all air fares sales are finished and we now have to overpay, more to got for 3 years, as the exams are on fixed dates, no escape.

Comments

Popular Posts